Put Your Skills to Work for a Good Cause
StudyPoint is in the business of helping kids, and we’re exceptionally good at it. We provide academic support for students at each step on the path to college, and we’re a mission and values driven organization.
Your work leading our finance and business intelligence efforts will support our goal to reach more families and help more students.
We’ve built a great culture that has been recognized twice on the 50 Most Engaged Workplaces
list alongside companies like Zappos and Disney, and we’ve been on the Inc 5000
list 10 times.
Build Your Skill Set and Impact
This is not a typical controller position. We are looking for someone with the know-how and confidence to lead the accounting and finance operations for a ~$10 million small business. And we are also looking for someone with the smarts and data savvy to lead our efforts on the business intelligence side of our operations.
When wearing the controller hat you will oversee our day to day accounting operations, which includes management of one full time staff person who works on our accounting, payroll, and benefits administration work. You will also lead the financial planning and control process, which includes budgeting, financial reviews, month and year end close processes, and financial modeling.
On the business intelligence side, we are looking for someone who wants to build the type of skills that are often the domain of CFOs. If you have the smarts and a love for data, we can train you on the tools we use to build performance management systems for the different departments of our business. We have done great work on this front in some areas, but have a lot of opportunity for improvement in others, and we need someone who can lead that effort and tie those key performance indicators to our financial planning process. We have the tools and can train you, you just need a willingness to learn and work at building this skill set.
The person in this role will be a member of our five person leadership team, and will report directly to the company President.
- Manage full time staff person who owns bookkeeping, payroll, and benefits administration, as well as any other part-time staff or consultants who work within the department.
- Consult with the leadership team, President, and Board on matters relating to financial and operational performance.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports for leadership and board of directors, and lead the month/year end close processes.
- Lead the budgeting process, including development and forecasting of department budgets and regular review of performance against those budgets with department heads. Contribute ideas for ongoing profit improvement.
- Implement and improve upon existing finance and accounting policies and procedures, and ensure accuracy of journal entries and other key inputs.
- Evaluate and manage financial and procedural risk.
- Ensure all annual reporting requirements are completed in a timely manner.
- Lead business intelligence operations to strengthen existing KPI reporting, and build reporting in areas that have not yet been tackled. (Training and tools provided.)
- Bachelor’s (Master's preferred) in Accounting, Business or equivalent.
- Experience with progressive responsibilities within accounting/finance/operations teams.
- Strong leadership qualities.
- Excellent knowledge of accounting policies and procedures.
- Audit and compliance experience.
- Proficiency with QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online.
- Strong analytical skills relying on the Microsoft Suite.
- Experience with small business operations and forecasting.
- Strong financial modeling skills.
- Competitive salary.
- Generous leave policy, including paid time off and sick days.
- One paid day a year to volunteer with an organization of your choice.
- Health coverage, dental and vision options.
- 401k option.
- Flexible work from home options. (Likely 2-3 days per week in the office when the pandemic has subsided.)
Interested? Apply here